Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Franklintown in Baltimore, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
REMOVED
SEE LOCATION SECTION
 

Orianda House

 
 
Orianda House Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Don Morfe, June 28, 2011
1. Orianda House Marker
Inscription.  Orianda House, built in 1857 at a cost of $9,170.69, was designed by Niernsee and Neilson, architects. This country mansion was the summer home of Thomas de Kay Winans, a wealthy railroad entrepreneur, and his Russian-born wife, Celeste Louise Revillon. Thomas, son of Baltimore & Ohio Railroad industrialist Ross Winans, purchased several farms to create the Crimea estate. Tenants raised cattle, wheat, corn, and other crops and maintained Winans’ greenhouse and horse racetrack. The Chesapeake Baltimore Outward Bound Program currently uses several of the estate buildings. The Friends of Orianda House maintain a museum room in this building. A Gwynns Falls Trail office is in the remaining tenant house.
 
Erected by Friends of Orianda House; City of Baltimore Recreation & Parks; Outward Bound.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: ArchitectureIndustry & CommerceRailroads & Streetcars. A significant historical year for this entry is 1857.
 
Location. This marker has been replaced by another marker nearby. It was located
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
near 39° 18.243′ N, 76° 41.731′ W. Marker was in Baltimore, Maryland. It was in Franklintown. Marker was on North Franklintown Road. Touch for map. Marker was at or near this postal address: 4700 N Franklintown Rd, Gwynn Oak MD 21207, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this location. Crimea Estate (here, next to this marker); A Name Before a Place (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Leakin Park at Winans Meadow (about 500 feet away); Crimea Mansion (approx. 0.2 miles away); a different marker also named Orianda House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Crimea (approx. 0.2 miles away); Norman Van Allan Reeves (approx. ¼ mile away); Chapel (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Baltimore.
 
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker. This marker has been replaced with a marker with only Friends of Orianda House listed as the erecting organization.
 
Also see . . .  www.friendsoforiandahouse.com. Friends of Orianda House. This URL appears on the marker, in the lower left corner. (Submitted on July 28, 2013, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland.) 
 
Orianda House Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Don Morfe, June 28, 2011
2. Orianda House Marker
Orianda House Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Don Morfe, June 28, 2011
3. Orianda House Marker
Orianda House Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Allen C. Browne, April 25, 2012
4. Orianda House Marker
Reginald and Mabel Hutton<br>on the porch at Orianda, 1914 image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Allen C. Browne, April 22, 2012
5. Reginald and Mabel Hutton
on the porch at Orianda, 1914
Close-up of photo on marker
Entrance Hallway. ca. 1925 image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Allen C. Browne, April 22, 2012
6. Entrance Hallway. ca. 1925
Close-up of photo on marker
Orianda Front Elevation image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Allen C. Browne, April 25, 2012
7. Orianda Front Elevation
Orianda Rear Porches image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Allen C. Browne, April 25, 2012
8. Orianda Rear Porches
Orianda inside the back hall image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Allen C. Browne, April 25, 2012
9. Orianda inside the back hall
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 24, 2022. It was originally submitted on November 12, 2012, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,363 times since then and 81 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on November 12, 2012, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland.   4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9. submitted on July 28, 2013, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=61050

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 21, 2024