Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Eureka in Humboldt County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

Eagle House

Eastlake/Queen Anne Architecture - circa 1887/1893

— Eureka Historic Landmark —

 
 
Eagle House Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Andrew Ruppenstein, October 6, 2012
1. Eagle House Marker
Inscription.  Served passengers traveling by steamers docking at nearby wharves.

This program possible through a partnership with property owners Lee & Kwang Cho, Eureka Main Street and the Eureka Heritage Society.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Industry & Commerce.
 
Location. 40° 48.247′ N, 124° 10.192′ W. Marker is in Eureka, California, in Humboldt County. Marker is at the intersection of 2nd Street and C Street on 2nd Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 139 2nd Street, Eureka CA 95501, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The former Fairwind (within shouting distance of this marker); Fanucchi Building (1919) (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Madaket Plaza (about 300 feet away); Metropole Hotel (about 400 feet away); The Wooden Sculpture Garden of Romano Gabriel (about 400 feet away); Healy Brothers Building (1908) (about 500 feet away); Bell & Everding Building (1893) (about 500 feet away); Eureka Business College (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Eureka.
 
Also see . . .  . The Eagle House Inn's history of the building:"The impressive Old Town Eureka landmark that has evolved today into the Eagle House Victorian Inn, began as the dream of Finnish emigrants, Henry and Elvira Tornroth, in 1886 when
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
the couple first built a hotel and restaurant on the corner of 2nd and C streets. They named it the Eagle House. An extensive addition was made to the “modest, two-story structure” in 1888; and, when the “spectacular Grand Hotel” was constructed kitty-corner across from their business, the Tornroths took action. In 1893, they had the Eagle House divided in half; and moved one section north along C Street, and the other west along 2nd. The next step was having their contractor, M. McGaraghan, build a new three story edifice on the site, using “the original portion” of the Eagle House as “wings.” It was now a stunning stick-style building, decorated with many of the ornate Victorian embellishments that were so representative of the time; and the rambling interior offered plenty of options to potential tenants...."
(Submitted on November 15, 2012.) 
 
The Eagle House - view looking west across 2nd Street image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Andrew Ruppenstein, October 6, 2012
2. The Eagle House - view looking west across 2nd Street
The marker is barely visible here, mounted about head height about 3-4 yards north of the entrance on C Street (i.e. to the right of the entrance).
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on November 15, 2012, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Lamorinda, California. This page has been viewed 445 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on November 15, 2012, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Lamorinda, California.   2. submitted on November 16, 2012, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Lamorinda, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=61129

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Mar. 4, 2024