Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Fort Davis in Jeff Davis County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

First Rural School

West of Pecos River

— (240 feet south) —

 
 
First Rural School Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Kirchner, October 24, 2012
1. First Rural School Marker
Inscription.  Built 1881 of adobe brick, by settlers P. H. Pruett, Cal Nations, James Dawson, Joe Dorsey. At the same time Pruett built home a half-mile west. A Texas Rangers' camp in area gave protection from Indians. Mrs. Pruett once made a midnight ride to alert Rangers to approach of Apaches.

Pruett sold home, 1883, to Fort Davis Commandant B. H. Grierson, and founded "Lone Cottonwood" Ranch 4 miles north. School was closed after he moved. In 1912 Pruett sold "Cottonwood" to H. L. Kokernot; now several Kokernot ranches use it as headquarters.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1967

 
Erected 1967 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 10477.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Education. A significant historical year for this entry is 1881.
 
Location. 30° 31.195′ N, 103° 46.13′ W. Marker is near Fort Davis, Texas, in Jeff Davis County. Marker is on State Highway 118, 11˝ miles south of State Highway 17, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Fort Davis TX 79734, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Manuel Musquiz (approx. 3.7 miles away); Pioneer Cemetery (approx. 8.4 miles away); Smith-Carlton Adobe House (approx. 8.6 miles away); St. Joseph Catholic Church (approx. 8.8 miles away); Jeff Davis County (approx. 8.8 miles away); Memorial Square (approx. 8.8 miles away); Jeff Davis County Library (approx. 8.8 miles away); Union Mercantile (approx. 8.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fort Davis.
 
First Rural School Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Kirchner, October 24, 2012
2. First Rural School Marker
First Rural School Marker site image. Click for full size.
Photographed By William F Haenn, November 10, 2016
3. First Rural School Marker site
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on October 11, 2019. It was originally submitted on November 16, 2012, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 879 times since then and 22 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on November 16, 2012, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona.   3. submitted on November 12, 2016, by William F Haenn of Fort Clark (Brackettville), Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=61143

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 27, 2024