Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Fort Davis in Jeff Davis County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Jeff Davis County Courthouse

 
 
Jeff Davis County Courthouse Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Kirchner, October 24, 2012
1. Jeff Davis County Courthouse Marker
Inscription.  Designed by the architectural firm of L. L. Thurman and Co. of Dallas, this building was erected in 1910-1911 and replaced the original 1880 adobe courthouse. This concrete and stone Classical Revival edifice, erected by the Falls City Construction Company of Louisville, Kentucky, is dominated by a massive portico supported by Doric columns. Other distinctive design elements include the alternating horizontal bands of pink rusticated stone made of locally quarried materials and the Beaux Arts style clock tower, which features a Seth Thomas timepiece. The courthouse continues as the seat of local government.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 2000

 
Erected 2000 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 12368.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. A significant historical year for this entry is 1880.
 
Location. 30° 35.315′ N, 103° 53.715′ W. Marker is in Fort Davis, Texas, in Jeff Davis County. Marker is at the intersection of Court Avenue and State Street (State Highway 17/118
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
), on the left when traveling west on Court Avenue. Marker is on the north side of the courthouse. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 100 Court Avenue, Fort Davis TX 79734, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. T/SGT. Manuel S. Gonzales (within shouting distance of this marker); Old Fort Davis CSA (within shouting distance of this marker); Confederate President Jefferson Davis (within shouting distance of this marker); Jeff Davis County Jail (within shouting distance of this marker); Hometown Heroes (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Fort Davis United Methodist Church (about 300 feet away); Hotel Limpia (about 400 feet away); Jeff Davis County (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fort Davis.
 
Jeff Davis County Courthouse Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Kirchner, October 24, 2012
2. Jeff Davis County Courthouse Marker
Jeff Davis County Courthouse image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Kirchner, October 24, 2012
3. Jeff Davis County Courthouse
NRHP Plaque image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Kirchner, October 24, 2012
4. NRHP Plaque
NRHP Plaque is just to the left of the Jeff Davis County Courthouse Marker.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on October 18, 2019. It was originally submitted on November 16, 2012, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 450 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 16, 2012, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=61144

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 13, 2024