Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Eureka in Humboldt County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

The former Fairwind

Italianate Architecture - circa 1870

— Eureka Historic Landmark —

 
 
The former Fairwind Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Andrew Ruppenstein, October 6, 2012
1. The former Fairwind Marker
The marker is just visible in the third picture, mounted above the door at the side entrance (223 1/2) of the building.
Inscription.  Saloons, Kitty Farris' Joy Emporium, and Fairwind and New Fairwind Cafe.

This program possible through a partnership with owners Ferguson-Winsted, Eureka Main Street, and the Eureka Heritage Society.
 
Erected 2006 by Eureka MainStreet, Eureka Heritage Society.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: ArchitectureIndustry & Commerce.
 
Location. 40° 48.249′ N, 124° 10.154′ W. Marker is in Eureka, California, in Humboldt County. Marker is on 2nd Street west of D Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 223 1/2 2nd Street, Eureka CA 95501, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Fanucchi Building (1919) (within shouting distance of this marker); Eagle House (within shouting distance of this marker); Metropole Hotel (within shouting distance of this marker); The Wooden Sculpture Garden of Romano Gabriel (within shouting distance of this marker); Healy Brothers Building (1908) (about 300 feet away,
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
measured in a direct line); Bell & Everding Building (1893) (about 300 feet away); Madaket Plaza (about 400 feet away); Eureka Business College (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Eureka.
 
Additional keywords. bordello brothel prostitution
 
The former Fairwind - side view looking west image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Andrew Ruppenstein, October 6, 2012
2. The former Fairwind - side view looking west
During the rehab the shingling was removed from the side of the building to reveal a sign for the New Fairwind Cafe, which occupied the building from the 1950s to the early 1980s (click on picture to enlarge).
The former Fairwind - looking north across 2nd Street. image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Andrew Ruppenstein, October 6, 2012
3. The former Fairwind - looking north across 2nd Street.
Although it looks old, and it is old, the old look is relatively new. The building underwent a number of changes and modernization through its various owners and uses. When the building was bought by the Ferguson and Winsted families in 1998, it had deteriorated and looked different than it does now. Four years were spent rehabbing the building, and it was given an 1870s-style facade that with a bit of weathering looks quite original.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 5, 2020. It was originally submitted on November 17, 2012, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Lamorinda, California. This page has been viewed 465 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on November 17, 2012, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Lamorinda, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=61155

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 14, 2024