Jackson in Madison County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
Erected by Tennessee Historical Commission. (Marker Number 4D 31.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African Americans • Churches & Religion • Education. In addition, it is included in the Historically Black Colleges and Universities, and the Tennessee Historical Commission series lists. A significant historical year for this entry is 1882.
Location. 35° 37.665′ N, 88° 48.431′ W. Marker is in Jackson, Tennessee, in Madison County. Marker is on Lane Avenue east of N. Hays Ave., on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 545 Lane Avenue, Jackson TN 38301, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within one mile of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Merry High School (approx. 0.3 miles away); John Luther Jones Wm. Holland House (approx. 0.9 miles away); Jackson's First Free Library (approx. one mile away); Gil Scott-Heron "Godfather of Rap" (approx. one mile away); General Ulysses S. Grant (approx. one mile away); Occupation of Jackson (approx. one mile away); 209-217 N. Church (approx. one mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Jackson.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on November 17, 2012, by Ken Smith of Milan, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 588 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. submitted on November 17, 2012, by Ken Smith of Milan, Tennessee. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.