Barstow in Ward County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
First Ward County Courthouse
Site of First Ward County Courthouse
A three-story red sandstone courthouse with a domed cupola was constructed here in 1893, one year after Barstow was elected first Ward County seat. The first elected officials to serve in the courthouse were R.D. Gage, Co. Judge; S.D. McWhorter, Co. & Dist. Clerk; W.M. Ware, Sheriff & Tax Collector; John W. Phillips, Co. Attorney; S.H. Parker, Tax Assessor; J.B. Carson, Surveyor; J.J. Walker, Treas.; Pat Wheat, Comm. No. 1; W.C. Carson, Comm. No. 2; Pat Duracke, Comm. No. 3; and A.D. Irvin, Comm. No. 4. The landmark was razed soon after the county seat moved to Monahans in 1938. All that remains is a cornerstone.
Erected 1985 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 4789.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Government & Politics • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1893.
Location. 31° 27.695′ N, 103° 23.653′ W. Marker is in Barstow, Texas, in Ward County. Marker is at the intersection of Mackey Avenue (Ranch to Market Road Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Barstow TX 79719, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Early Public Library (here, next to this marker); Old Ward County Bank (approx. 0.2 miles away); Pioneer Graveyard (approx. 6 miles away); Emigrants' Crossing (approx. 6.4 miles away); Mrs. Lillie W. Cole (approx. 6.4 miles away); Spanish Explorers (approx. 6.4 miles away); Reeves County-Pecos, Texas (approx. 6.4 miles away); The Pecos Cantaloupe (approx. 6.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Barstow.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on November 19, 2012, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 428 times since then and 24 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 19, 2012, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.