Pecos in Reeves County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
First Christian Church
In 1899 lawyer R.D. Gage donated land for construction of a small sanctuary. One new member who joined the congregation during this period was Dr. Jim Camp (1870-1964), who served Pecos as a physician for over 60 years. In 1905 the Rev. Homer Magee (1882-1921) became full-time pastor. That same year, the church building was moved to this site. Plans for the present structure were made in 1908, after a revival led by the Rev. J.L. Haddock. In 1909 contractor E.B. Kisser completed this edifice, the oldest brick church building in Pecos.
Educational facilities were added during
Erected 1975 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 1701.)
Location. 31° 25.383′ N, 103° 29.8′ W. Marker is in Pecos, Texas, in Reeves County. Marker is at the intersection of South Elm Street and West 5th Street, on the right when traveling south on South Elm Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 423 S Elm St, Pecos TX 79772, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. First Baptist Church of Pecos City (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); George R. Reeves (approx. 0.2 miles away); Reeves County Korean & Vietnam War Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); Reeves County World War II Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); Pecos, Texas (approx. 0.3 miles away); Orient Hotel (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Pecos Cantaloupe (approx. 0.3 miles away); Reeves County-Pecos, Texas (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Pecos.
Categories. • Churches & Religion •
More. Search the internet for First Christian Church.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 19, 2012, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 343 times since then and 22 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 19, 2012, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.