Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Johns Hopkins Homewood in Baltimore, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Keyser Quadrangle

 
 
Keyser Quadrangle Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Beverly Pfingsten, March 8, 2008
1. Keyser Quadrangle Marker
Inscription.  
Named for William Keyser who was the moving force behind the donation of the Homewood property to Johns Hopkins. He contributed 62 acres and also organized the donation of other land by Samuel Keyser, Francis M. Jencks, William H. Buckler, and Julian LeRoy White. This land, in combination with the donation from William Wyman, formed the original Homewood campus.

Businessman and philanthropist William Keyser owned the Baltimore Copper Works and became a vice president of the B&O Railroad in 1870. Despite having no formal connection with the university, Keyser motivated by an acute sense of the gratitude he owed Baltimore for his success made Johns Hopkins his primary beneficiary. His son Brent was later chairman of the Johns Hopkins board of trustees from 1903 to 1927.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: EducationIndustry & CommerceRailroads & Streetcars. A significant historical year for this entry is 1870.
 
Location. 39° 19.765′ N, 76° 37.183′ W. Marker is in Baltimore, Maryland. It is in Johns Hopkins Homewood. Marker can be reached
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
from North Charles Street (Route 139), on the left when traveling north. The marker is on the campus of Johns Hopkins University near the Sheridan Libraries. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 3400 N Charles St, Baltimore MD 21218, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Sheridan Libraries (within shouting distance of this marker); Farmhouse & Slave Quarters (within shouting distance of this marker); Homewood (within shouting distance of this marker); "Isaac Newton" Apple Tree (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Orchard (about 400 feet away); a different marker also named Homewood (about 400 feet away); Homewood Privy, c. 1801 (about 400 feet away); Carriage House (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Baltimore.
 
Also see . . .  Johns Hopkins University web site. (Submitted on March 11, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.)
 
Keyser Quadrangle - Johns Hopkins University image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Beverly Pfingsten, March 8, 2008
2. Keyser Quadrangle - Johns Hopkins University
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on February 20, 2021. It was originally submitted on March 11, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,640 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on March 11, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=6122

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 20, 2024