San Antonio in Bexar County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
O. Henry House
O. Henry House
Typical of the homes of early German settlers, this two-room dwelling was built by John Kush about 1855. It originally stood on south Presa Street. It was occupied in 1895-96 by William Sidney Porter, who gained national renown as the short story writer O. Henry. Here he issued a weekly humorous newspaper, "The Rolling Stone". In 1960 the structure was moved to this location by the Kush Family and the Lone Star Brewing Company.
The O. Henry House Museum
O.Henry was born at Polecat Creek, North Carolina and moved to Cotulla, Texas in 1883 for health reasons. He then came to San Antonio and rented this house for $6.00 a month. Fascinated by San Antonio’s multi-cultural community, O.Henry chronicled the languages and culture of the native populations, spending many happy and productive hours in “cantinas” (saloons) which once stood on this site. O.Henry published a humorous, tabloid newspaper, called The Rolling Stone, which he filled with poems,
Moving to Austin in 1898, O.Henry worked as a teller in a bank to augment his income, at which time he was convicted of embezzlement. He served three years in prison where he wrote prodigiously and memorized every word in the dictionary.
O.Henry was gifted in his ability to capture the essence of a city by understanding the hearts of people in all walks of life. His wit, skill with words, unusual plot twists and surprise endings brought him international fame. He died in New York in 1910.
In 1998, Wallace and Mary Friedrich Rogers regained ownership of her grandfather’s old Buckhorn Saloon Museum (which included the historic O.Henry House) from the Lone Star Brewing Company. The Rogers then donated this house as a charitable contribution to the Lee and Zachry Carter Memorial Fund of the San Antonio Area Foundation.
Chief Probation Officer L. Caesar Garcia of the Bexar County Adult Probation Department is helping his probationers by using O.Henry’s life example as a teaching aid. Probationers get credit for doing their Community Service by acting
Erected 1964 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 2453.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Arts, Letters, Music. A significant historical year for this entry is 1855.
Location. 29° 25.461′ N, 98° 29.843′ W. Marker is in San Antonio, Texas, in Bexar County. Marker is at the intersection of South Laredo Street and Dolorosa, on the left when traveling south on South Laredo Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 601 Dolorosa, San Antonio TX 78207, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Casa Navarro (here, next to this marker); Market Square (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Casa José Antonio Navarro (about 400 feet away); Spanish Governor's Palace (about 600 feet away); Moses Austin (about 700 feet away); Barbed Wire (about 700 feet away); Flood of the Century (about 700 feet away); Growth of a City (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in San Antonio.
Also see . . . . “Porter's most prolific writing period started in 1902, when he moved to New York City to be near (Submitted on July 22, 2017.)
Credits. This page was last revised on July 22, 2017. It was originally submitted on November 20, 2012, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 858 times since then and 103 times this year. It was the Marker of the Week July 23, 2017. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on November 20, 2012, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. 6. submitted on July 22, 2017, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.