Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Kermit in Winkler County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

The Community Church

 
 
The Community Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Kirchner, October 25, 2012
1. The Community Church Marker
Inscription.  50 years of camp meetings, circuit riders, singings and Sunday Schools at ranches or schoolhouses filled settlers' religious needs. In 1928, when this church was organized, its sanctuary was 1910 courthouse, bought for a dollar. Present edifice—first brick building in Kermit—is on site of that first church, and was built by generous ranchers after oil discovery. Dedicated 1938. First resident pastor was C. Y. Butler.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1966

 
Erected 1966 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 1005.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical year for this entry is 1928.
 
Location. 31° 51.328′ N, 103° 5.555′ W. Marker is in Kermit, Texas, in Winkler County. Marker is at the intersection of South Poplar Street (State Highway 18) and East Bryan Street, on the right when traveling south on South Poplar Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 302 South Poplar Street, Kermit TX 79745, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
, measured as the crow flies. Colonel C. M. Winkler (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Moorhead Cable Tool Rig (approx. ¾ mile away); Kermit (approx. one mile away); Old Duval Townsite (approx. 2.3 miles away); Winkler County Discovery Well (approx. 7.8 miles away); Wink (approx. 8 miles away); Roy Orbison (approx. 8 miles away); Old Wink Cemetery (approx. 8½ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Kermit.
 
The Community Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Kirchner, October 25, 2012
2. The Community Church Marker
The Community Church image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Kirchner, October 25, 2012
3. The Community Church
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on November 23, 2012, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 396 times since then and 11 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on November 23, 2012, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=61321

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 20, 2024