Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Corsicana in Navarro County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Site of The First Courthouse

 
 
Site of the First Courthouse Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, September 15, 2012
1. Site of the First Courthouse Marker
Inscription.  The Texas Legislature specified that the seat of Navarro County should be called Corsicana; but the location was not secured until 1848 when this site was donated by David R. Mitchel, James C. Neill, and Thomas Smith. Other structures served briefly as quarters for count business; but the first actual courthouse was a log cabin erected here in 1848. The 15' by 17' building has the judges stand in one corner and county clerk's table in another. A two-story frame courthouse replaced the cabin in 1853.
 
Erected 1976 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 14078.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. A significant historical year for this entry is 1848.
 
Location. 32° 5.818′ N, 96° 28.123′ W. Marker is in Corsicana, Texas, in Navarro County. Marker is on West 1st Avenue near North 12th Street, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 223 West 1st Avenue, Corsicana TX 75110, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Thomas Ingles Smith (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Navarro County Courthouse
Site of the First Courthouse Marker along West 1st Avenue image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, September 15, 2012
2. Site of the First Courthouse Marker along West 1st Avenue
Click or scan to see
this page online
(about 600 feet away); Jose Antonio Navarro (about 700 feet away); Corsicana in 1860-1872 (about 700 feet away); The Call To Arms (about 800 feet away); Westminster Presbyterian Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Corsicana (approx. ¼ mile away); Alexander Beaton (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Corsicana.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on November 24, 2012, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 317 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on November 24, 2012, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=61330

Paid Advertisement
Apr. 23, 2021