Andrews in Andrews County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
of Andrews County
In 1886 O.B. Holt became first man to file for county land. First settlers included the Cowden brothers and Peter Von Holebeke.
In 1900 county had 87 people; it was finally organized in 1910. With windmill pumps and drift fences, ranching became feasible, although soil was so dry that a grazing cow crashed through a dugout roof into a bed one day.
In 1930 the discovery of oil brought wealth and rewarded the tenacity of first pioneers.
Erected 1970 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 1350.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1886.
Location. 32° 19.028′ N, 102° 33.278′ W. Marker is in Andrews, Texas, in Andrews County. Marker is at the intersection of West Broadway Street and NW 7th Street, on the right when traveling west on West Broadway Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 700 W Broadway St, Andrews TX 79714, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other Original Townsite of Andrews (here, next to this marker); The J. S. Means Ranch House (a few steps from this marker); American Civil War / Spanish American War (within shouting distance of this marker); World War I (within shouting distance of this marker); Korean War (within shouting distance of this marker); Vietnam War (within shouting distance of this marker); C.E. Carruth Bi-Centennial Building (within shouting distance of this marker); World War II (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Andrews.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on November 25, 2012, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 988 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 25, 2012, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.