Corsicana in Navarro County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Early Texas Natural Gas Pipelines
Other natural gas industry pioneer achievements in Navarro County were the first use of meters, in 1905 at Chatfield (12 mi. NE), and first use of gas in pumping oil wells in the Corsicana field, 1906.
Developers of Navarro fields expanded to Clay County, and in 1907 were supplying natural gas to Henrietta and Wichita Falls; Fort Worth and Dallas were furnished service in 1909-1910. By 1918 new fields supplied Laredo, San Antonio, Waco. Today Texas is spanned by over 83,000 miles of gas pipelines.
A 1918 discovery opened the Amarillo field, soon recognized as the world's foremost gas field -- and point of beginning, during the 1920s, of the first interstate natural gas pipelines.
Texas now has 27 pipeline companies exporting gas. Annual production rate is nearly eight trillion cubic feet. A number of wells deliver more than 20 million cubic feet per
Incise in base Early Travel, Communication and Transportation Series, erected by The Moody Foundation
Erected 1967 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 7196.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Industry & Commerce. A significant historical year for this entry is 1902.
Location. 32° 5.545′ N, 96° 27.877′ W. Marker is in Corsicana, Texas, in Navarro County. Marker is on South Main Street near West 6th Avenue, on the right when traveling south. Located at the Corsicana Post Office Building. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 116 South Main Street, Corsicana TX 75110, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Henry G. Damon (within shouting distance of this marker); Corsicana City Jail of 1908 (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Site of Merchants Opera House (about 500 feet away); Samuel Wistar Johnson, M. D. (about 500 feet away); R.N. White (about 500 feet away); Corsicana Public Library (about 600 feet away); State National Bank of Corsicana (about 600 feet away); Capt. Charles Henry Allyn (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Corsicana.
Credits. This page was last revised on August 27, 2020. It was originally submitted on November 26, 2012, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 620 times since then and 102 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 27, 2012, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.