Near Andrews in Andrews County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Shafter Lake Townsite
Named for lake charted in 1875 survey of Col. Wm. R. Shafter, whose maps and victories over powerful Indians opened the Permian Basin to settlement.
Water trough built by John Underwood of Shafter Lake Sand and Gravel is on site then set aside for a courthouse. It was stopping place for ranchers and freighters on way from Jal and Monument, N. Mex., into Texas. Town started to grow around trough. But when vote in 1910 county organization gave county seat to Andrews, town moved there.
Erected 1965 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 4653.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1908.
Location. 32° 24.191′ N, 102° 41.109′ W. Marker is near Andrews, Texas, in Andrews County. Marker is on Shafter Lake Road (Farm to Market Road 1967) 2.3 miles west of NW 2001, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Andrews TX 79714, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this Andrews County Discovery Well (approx. 5.1 miles away); Frankel City (approx. 6.1 miles away); Andrews County (approx. 7˝ miles away); Florey Park (approx. 7.6 miles away); Dorsie M. Pinnell (approx. 9˝ miles away); The J. S. Means Ranch House (approx. 9.7 miles away); Original Townsite of Andrews (approx. 9.7 miles away); Early Settlers (approx. 9.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Andrews.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on November 26, 2012, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 1,065 times since then and 58 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 26, 2012, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.