Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Whitney in Hill County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Pleasant Hill Missionary Baptist Church

 
 
Pleasant Hill Missionary Baptist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Stroud, September 14, 2012
1. Pleasant Hill Missionary Baptist Church Marker
Inscription.  Among the first African-American Baptist congregations in Hill County were the churches at Towash (organized in 1869), Lofer's Bend, and near Aquilla. These three congregations were united in 1883 to form the Pleasant Hill Missionary Baptist Church. Pleasant Hill's original building was demolished and the cornerstone laid for a new structure in 1894. Church trustees purchased the church lot from Dr. D. R. Wallace of Waco in 1901. The congregation had grown to about 100 members by 1907. More than 100 years later the members carry on the traditions of worship and community instilled by the early Pleasant Hill congregation.
 
Erected 1998 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 12076.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African AmericansChurches & Religion. A significant historical year for this entry is 1883.
 
Location. 31° 56.752′ N, 97° 19.794′ W. Marker is in Whitney, Texas, in Hill County. Marker is on South Pecos Street near West Taylor Lane, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at
Pleasant Hill Missionary Baptist Church and Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Stroud, September 14, 2012
2. Pleasant Hill Missionary Baptist Church and Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
or near this postal address: 220 South Pecos Street, Whitney TX 76692, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Whitney (approx. 0.6 miles away); Whitney Messenger (approx. 0.6 miles away); King Memorial United Methodist Church (approx. 0.7 miles away); Fort Graham Cemetery (approx. 5.6 miles away); Ivy-Atchison Pioneer Home (approx. 6.6 miles away); Huron (approx. 6.8 miles away); Smith Bend - Coon Creek Cemetery (approx. 8.1 miles away); Coon Creek Community (approx. 8.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Whitney.
 
Pleasant Hill Missionary Baptist Church Bell image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Stroud, September 14, 2012
3. Pleasant Hill Missionary Baptist Church Bell
and is part of the Southern Baptist Convention denomination of churches
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on December 5, 2012, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 513 times since then and 109 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on December 5, 2012, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=61602

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
Paid Advertisements
 
 

Aug. 9, 2022