Three Rivers in St. Joseph County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Three Rivers Town Cannon
Before the Civil War local militias in Michigan were supplied with arms and equipment donated by the Federal Government under the Militia Act of 1808.
During the Mexican War (1845-47) the army's new artillery system was very successful and well reported in the press. In 1847 the State of Michigan chose to draw an accumulated share of military equipment in cannons. The State in turn loaned each cannon to a town which agreed to train men to use and maintain it.
This cannon was made by Ames Mfg. Co. of Chicopee, Mass. and serial numbered 323 by inspector Jas. W. Ripley on August 26, 1847. It was part of a shipment of seventeen 6 pounder guns, with carriages and full equipment sent in late 1847 to Michigan, still a “frontier” state.
The cannon continued to be used for local ceremonies and celebrations until retired for safety reasons. It remains a local landmark.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Military. A significant historical date for this entry is February 10, 1982.
Location. 41° 56.563′ N, 85° 38.13′ W. Marker is in Three Rivers, Michigan, in St. Joseph County. Marker is at the intersection of West Michigan Avenue (State Highway 60) and Spring Street, on the left when traveling west on West Michigan Avenue. The marker is located in the northwest corner of Scidmore Park. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Three Rivers MI 49093, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Three Rivers (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Site of Legendary Battle (about 400 feet away); French Trading Post (approx. 0.2 miles away); Historic District (approx. 0.2 miles away); Old Three Rivers Public Library (approx. ¼ mile away); Moab (approx. 0.7 miles Three Rivers Civil War Monument (approx. 0.8 miles away); Three Rivers Soldiers Memorial (approx. 0.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Three Rivers.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on December 10, 2012, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 448 times since then and 33 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 10, 2012, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.