Near Ridgeland in Jasper County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Church of the Holy Trinity
This Episcopal church was a chapel of ease in the Parish of St. Luke for a number of years before it became a separate congregation in 1835. It is said that William Heyward gave the church land on which the present building, donated by James Bolan and completed in 1858, is built.
This Episcopal church, listed in the National Register of Historic Places, is an outstanding example of Carpenter Gothic church architecture. The wheel window, board and batten sheathing, and buttressed tower are typical features of this style. A pipe organ is located in the gallery where slaves once worshiped.
Erected 1980 by The Congregation. (Marker Number 27-4.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Notable Buildings. A significant historical year for this entry is 1835.
Location. 32° 28.258′ N, 80° 57.896′ W. Marker is near Ridgeland, South Carolina, in Jasper County. Marker is at the intersection of State Highway S27-29 and Bees Creek Road (State Highway S27-13), Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Ridgeland SC 29936, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Grahamville (a few steps from this marker); Euhaw Baptist Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Gopher Tortoise Square (approx. 1.3 miles away); Ridgeland (approx. 1.3 miles away); St. Paul's Methodist Church (approx. 1.4 miles away); Jasper County / Jasper County Courthouse (approx. 1˝ miles away); Ridgeland Baptist Church (approx. 2.1 miles away); Great Swamp Baptist Church (approx. 3.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Ridgeland.
Regarding Church of the Holy Trinity. National Register of Historic Places:
The Church of the Holy Trinity, constructed ca. 1858, is the third building associated with an Episcopal congregation formed in the early years of the nineteenth century by Grahamville planters. The church is architecturally significant as a notable example of the Carpenter Gothic style. The style developed as a carpenter’s interpretations of the English Gothic Revival architecture of the early nineteenth century, with the masonry designs of the English architects translated into wooden construction. The proportions of the church, the asymmetrical composition, the wheel window, and the buttressed tower are exemplary of the Gothic
Church of the Holy Trinity (added 1982 - - #82003869)
♦ Historic Significance: Architecture/Engineering
♦ Architect, builder, or engineer: Unknown
♦ Architectural Style: Gothic Revival, Other
♦ Area of Significance: Architecture
♦ Period of Significance: 1850-1874
♦ Owner: Private
♦ Historic Function: Religion
♦ Historic Sub-function: Religious Structure
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on March 13, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 2,075 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on March 13, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 2. submitted on December 3, 2012, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 3, 4. submitted on March 13, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 5. submitted on December 31, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Christopher Busta-Peck was the editor who published this page.