Vincennes in Knox County, Indiana — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
The First Presbyterian Church In Indiana Territory
In 1805 Transylvania Presbytery, Kentucky on petition of pioneer settlers in Knox County sent Rev. Thomas Cleland, who thus became the first Presbyterian minister to preach in Vincennes. The service was held at the Council House in the Indian Village near this spot. In 1806, "The Indiana Church" was organized by Rev. Samuel B. Robinson, in Col. Small's barn, two miles northeast of the borough.
Location. 38° 40.676′ N, 87° 31.734′ W. Marker is in Vincennes, Indiana, in Knox County. Marker is at the intersection of Busseron Street and 5th Street, on the left when traveling east on Busseron Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 101 North 5th Street, Vincennes IN 47591, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Synod of Indiana of the Presbyterian Church, U.S.A. (a few steps from this marker); Cradle of Freemasonry in Indiana (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Knox County (Indiana) Gold Star Honor Roll (about 700 feet away); Knox County (Indiana) Civil War Memorial (about 700 feet away); Knox County Veterans Memorial Park Niblack Mansion (about 800 feet away); Mary Clark (approx. 0.2 miles away); Ellis Mansion (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Vincennes.
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Man-Made Features • Settlements & Settlers •
More. Search the internet for The First Presbyterian Church In Indiana Territory.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 14, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 437 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 14, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.