Mountainair in Torrance County, New Mexico — The American Mountains (Southwest)
Salinas Pueblo Misson National Monument
In the 17th century, an ancient trade route that linked the Rio Grande to the Great Plains shared this fragile mountain valley with a bustling pueblo full of people who spoke Tompiro. When a single Spanish priest walked into town in 1622, a spiritual, material, and cultural revolution started in Abo. Nothing would ever be the same again.
En el siglo XVII, una antigua ruta comercial que unía el río Grande a las grandes llanuras compartió este valle de montaña frágiles con un bullicioso pueblo lleno de gente que hablaba Tompiro. Cuando un sacerdote español solo caminó a la ciudad en 1622, una revolución cultural, espiritual y material comenzaron en Abo. Nada iba a ser el mismo.
For the Tompiros, the well-known trail across Abo pass had always brought tradegoods, travelers, and new ideas this way. Who could have foretold that the arrival of a single friar might change their world forever?
For a Spanish priest, Abo was the remote edge of a vast and growing
Para los tompiros, el muy conocida sendero enfrente del paso Abo siempre habia traido bienes comerciales. ¿Quién hubiera predicho que la llegada de un solo fraile podría cambiar su mundo para siempre?
Para un sacerdote español, Abo era la orilla remota de un vasto y creciente imperio que incluyó puestos avanzados fronterizos en Asia, África, América y Europa.
Erected by National Park Service.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Native Americans. A significant historical year for this entry is 1622.
Location. 34° 27.018′ N, 106° 22.488′ W. Marker is in Mountainair, New Mexico, in Torrance County. Marker is on Abo Ruins Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Mountainair NM 87036, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Abó Ruins (approx. 0.6 miles away); Mountainair (approx. 8.4 miles away); Salt Mission Trail (approx. 8.4 miles away); a different marker also named Mountainair (approx. 9.4 miles away); Quarai Ruins (approx. 11.6 miles away).
Regarding Abo Ruins. Salinas Pueblo Missions National Monument, located in central New Mexico comprises 3 units: Abó,
Salinas Pueblo Missions is positioned within the Estancia Basin, east of the Manzano Mountains. In Pleistocene time the Estancia Basin held a lake. Surrounding the margins of the valley beaches, bars, and spits are distinguishable. Eventually the lake dried up and the American Indians associated with the pueblos of Salinas cultivated staple foods such as corn, beans, and squash, on the fine loamy lake deposits.
Salinas Pueblo Missions was set aside because of the importance of the cultural resources however, there is a major connecting link to the natural resources. The link is the importance of man’s adjustment to a marginal land and the man-land relationship during the past 1,000+ years of occupation.
Salinas Pueblo Missions is situated in the foothills of the Manzano Mountains. The word Manzano is derived from the word "manzanas" which is Spanish for apples. It is said that the small Hispanic village and the surrounding mountains take their name for the ancient orchards here. The orchards were believed to have been planted by the Franciscan priests in the early 17th century, however, the trees have been dated no earlier than the 1800s.
The approximately 112,000 acres, comprising the Manzano Mountains are administered by the Mountainair Ranger District of the Cibola National Forest. The Manzanos are a long, narrow range trending north and south. The area slopes gently up from the Estancia Valley in the east to about 8,000 feet elevation and then rises abruptly to the ridgeline. The west face drops sharply into the uplands of the Rio Grande Valley.
Source: The National Park Service website.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on December 23, 2012, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 519 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on December 23, 2012, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Wide area view of the marker and its surroundings. • Can you help?