Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Corsicana in Navarro County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Fire Station No. 2

 
 
Fire Station No. 2 Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Stroud, September 15, 2012
1. Fire Station No. 2 Marker
Inscription.  The Corsicana Volunteer Fire Department was organized in December 1879, with J. J. Strupper as chief. Volunteer fire fighters carried buckets before acquiring hand-and horse-drawn equipment. Fire Station Number One, located at city hall, was first occupied in 1892 by Chief F. N. Drane, who supervised drilling of artesian wells to supply water. First Station Number Two was built in 1902 as a substation for west Corsicana. In 1924, after protecting lives and property for 45 years, the volunteer system was replaced by the City Fire Department, which continued to use this building until 1926.
 
Erected 1977 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 7192.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Charity & Public Work. A significant historical month for this entry is December 1879.
 
Location. 32° 5.357′ N, 96° 28.414′ W. Marker is in Corsicana, Texas, in Navarro County. Marker is on West 5th Avenue near North 20th Street, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1011 West 5th Avenue, Corsicana TX 75110, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
walking distance of this marker. Stephen Augustus Pace (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Rosenberg Family (approx. 0.2 miles away); Tatum Home (approx. 0.2 miles away); Lemon-Edens House (approx. ¼ mile away); Judge John S. Callicutt (approx. ¼ mile away); Former Homesite of Joseph S. Cullinan (approx. ¼ mile away); Smith-McCrery Home (approx. ¼ mile away); Dunn-Ransom Home (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Corsicana.
 
Fire Station No. 2 Marker at 1011 West 5th Avenue image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Stroud, September 15, 2012
2. Fire Station No. 2 Marker at 1011 West 5th Avenue
Fire Station No. 2 Marker seen here from North 20th Street image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Stroud, September 15, 2012
3. Fire Station No. 2 Marker seen here from North 20th Street
Corsicana Fire Department Memorial at Navarro County Courthouse image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Stroud, September 15, 2012
4. Corsicana Fire Department Memorial at Navarro County Courthouse
Corsicana Fire Department Monument close-up image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Stroud, September 15, 2012
5. Corsicana Fire Department Monument close-up
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on December 25, 2012, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 516 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on December 26, 2012, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=62120

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 21, 2024