Switzerland in St. Johns County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
St. Johns County / New Switzerland Plantation
St. Johns County
On July 21, 1821 Major General Andrew Jackson, Florida's first Territorial Governor, established St. Johns County, with St. Augustine as the county seat. It contained all Florida east of the Suwanee River, approximately 39,400 square miles with over 1,100 miles of coastline. Since 1821, more than 2/3 of Florida's present 67 counties have been carved from St. Johns' original boundaries, reducing it to but 600 square miles of land area.
New Switzerland Plantation
Francis Phillip Fatio, Sr. (1724 - 1811) a Swiss native, brought his family, slaves and personal possessions here shortly after Spain ceded Florida to Great Britain in 1763. After obtaining a crown grant of 10,000 acres in this area, Fatio imported materials from England and built a country estate where he lived the life of a frontier baron. The plantation buildings were destroyed during the East Florida Patriot revolt in 1812.
Erected 1967 by St. Johns County Historical Commission.
Location. 30° 4.533′ N, 81° 38.875′ Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Saint Johns FL 32259, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Beluthahatchee (approx. 1.4 miles away); William Bartram Trail (approx. 1.8 miles away); William Bartram Scenic Highway (approx. 2.3 miles away); St. Margaret's Episcopal Church and Cemetery (approx. 3 miles away); Camp Chowenwaw (approx. 4.6 miles away); Green Cove Springs (approx. 5.9 miles away); Harriet Beecher Stowe Home (approx. 6 miles away); The Village Improvement Association Woman's Club (approx. 6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Switzerland.
Categories. • Notable Places •
More. Search the internet for St. Johns County / New Switzerland Plantation.
Credits. This page was last revised on January 2, 2019. This page originally submitted on December 27, 2012, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 516 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on December 29, 2012, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.