Alameda in Alameda County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
First Presbyterian Church
The first sanctuary was erected at what is currently known as Central and Versailles Avenues. The sanctuary was dedicated on March 8, 1869. The final service held there was in late August 1903.
The first sanctuary building was dismantled, and the wood was used as the framing for the new sanctuary located here. Congregation members Henry H. Myers designed the new sanctuary building which was built in the winter of 1903-1904 under the direction of A.J. Bugner. The sanctuary for this church was dedicated Easter Sunday, April 3, 1904.
Erected 2004 by Native Sons of the Golden West, Halcyon-Alameda Parlor No. 47.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. In addition, it is included in the Native Sons/Daughters of the Golden West series list.
Location. 37° 46.186′ Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2001 Santa Clara Avenue, Alameda CA 94501, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Meyers House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Historic Alameda High School (approx. 0.4 miles away); Alameda Lodge No. 1015 (approx. half a mile away); ATK Baseball Field (approx. half a mile away); Alameda City Hall, 1895-96 (approx. half a mile away); a different marker also named Alameda City Hall (approx. half a mile away); Alameda’s First Church (approx. half a mile away); 1890 Seawall (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Alameda.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on December 29, 2012, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. This page has been viewed 543 times since then and 34 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on December 29, 2012, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. 6. submitted on January 4, 2015. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.