Corsicana in Navarro County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
During the Civil War, the Navarro Rifles were an infantry company comprised of approximately 87 men from Navarro and surrounding counties. The group formed in Corsicana in July 1861 to join the army of the Confederate States of America. Clinton M. Winkler, a founder of Navarro County, organized the men and served as the unit's initial captain. The group trained near the Navarro County towns of Dresden and Spring Hill, and later Waco (McLennan Co.) and Harrisburg (Harris Co.). Formally designated Company I of the Fourth Texas Volunteer Infantry Regiment, the Rifles soon left for war, arriving in Richmond, Virginia in September 1861.
Combined with the First and Fifth Texas infantry regiments, the Rifles were part of the brigade of famed Texas general John Bell Hood. They received their baptism of fire in limited action at Yorktown and Eltham's Landing (Virginia) in the spring of 1862. The unit's first major battle was near Richmond, at Turkey Hill and Boatswain Swamp. The impressive Union defensive positions consisted of sharpshooters, infantry and artillery; however, Hood located a weak link in the line. Having given the order
The unit's casualties over the duration of the war included 19 dead, 59 wounded, and 10 captured. Due to their bravery throughout the war, the unit earned a special place in the heart of Commanding General Robert E. Lee and an honored reputation in their native state.
Erected 2007 by Texas Historic Commission. (Marker Number 13910.)
Location. 32° 4.628′ N, 96° 29.816′ W. Marker is in Corsicana, Texas, in Navarro County. Marker is on West Collin Avenue near North 41st Street. Located at the Cook Education Center, Navarro College. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 3100 West Collin Avenue, Corsicana TX 75110, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. 15th Texas Infantry Companies E and G (here, next to this marker); Odd Fellow and Rebekah Children's Home (approx. 0.3 miles away); IOOF Home Memorial Bell Tower (approx. 0.4 miles away); Corsicana Hebrew Cemetery (approx. 0.6 miles away); James Clinton Neill Smith-McCrery Home (approx. 1.4 miles away); Dunn-Ransom Home (approx. 1.4 miles away); Judge John S. Callicutt (approx. 1.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Corsicana.
Regarding Navarro Rifles. Navarro County wore the uniform of the Confederacy. The first military company organized in the county was the Navarro Rifles. The group consisted of ninety men, and a training camp was set up in Spring Hill on March 6, 1862. In the fall of that year a second company was organized, and in 1863 three more were started. The Navarro Rifles left Texas in 1861 and fought with Hood's Texas Brigade in Virginia. (Texas Historical Commission)
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. see the relationship markers as shown.
Categories. • War, US Civil •
More. Search the internet for Navarro Rifles.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 1, 2013, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 466 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on January 1, 2013, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.