Macomb in McDonough County, Illinois — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Old Randolph House
Erected by Interested Macomb Citizens and W.I.U. Students.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. In addition, it is included in the Former U.S. Presidents: #16 Abraham Lincoln series list. A significant historical month for this entry is October 1858.
Location. 40° 27.491′ N, 90° 40.208′ W. Marker is in Macomb, Illinois, in McDonough County. Marker is at the intersection of South Randolph Street and South Side Square, on the left when traveling south on South Randolph Street. The marker is on the left front of the building by the alley. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 5 East Side Square, Macomb IL 61455, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 7 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Randolph House Hotel (here, next to this marker); Lincoln Photograph / McDonough Courthouse (within shouting distance of this marker); Civil War Soldier Monument at Chandler ParkRev. Dr. C.T. Vivian Homesite (approx. half a mile away); Historic Site (approx. half a mile away); Oakwood Cemetery (approx. 0.9 miles away); a different marker also named Oakwood Cemetery (approx. 0.9 miles away).
Regarding Old Randolph House. Built in 1856 the Randolph House offered elegance that was almost unheard of in western Illinois. Bellboys carried luggage and there was a carriage shuttle to the train depot. In 1936 the northern part of the building was demolished, only one-half of the original structure remains.
Also see . . . Macomb’s Courthouse Square. Western Illinois Museum entry (Submitted on January 20, 2021, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York.)
Credits. This page was last revised on January 20, 2021. It was originally submitted on October 25, 2012, by James King of San Miguel, California. This page has been viewed 545 times since then and 9 times this year. Last updated on January 1, 2013, by James King of San Miguel, California. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on October 25, 2012, by James King of San Miguel, California. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.