Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Macomb in McDonough County, Illinois — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Randolph House Hotel

 
 
Randolph House Hotel Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Deborah H. Lutz, October 18, 2012
1. Randolph House Hotel Marker
Inscription.  Built in 1857, William H. Randolph opened this magnificent hotel with an elegance unknown at the time.

Abraham Lincoln was a guest on two occasions, August 25th and October 25th, 1858. Both during his senatorial campaign, rivaling Stephen Douglas. After Lincoln's assassination the room he stayed in became a local shrine for the grieving community.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. In addition, it is included in the Former U.S. Presidents: #16 Abraham Lincoln series list. A significant historical month for this entry is October 1858.
 
Location. 40° 27.495′ N, 90° 40.208′ W. Marker is in Macomb, Illinois, in McDonough County. Marker is at the intersection of South Randolph Street and South Side Square, on the left when traveling south on South Randolph Street. The marker is near the center front of the building. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 5 East Side Square, Macomb IL 61455, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Old Randolph House (here, next to this marker); Lincoln Photograph / McDonough Courthouse (within shouting distance of this marker);
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
Abraham Lincoln in Macomb (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Abraham Lincoln's Speeches (about 300 feet away); William S. and Dorothy Bailey Home (about 400 feet away); First McDonough County Courthouse (about 400 feet away); Macomb's Stagecoach Stop (about 500 feet away); In Memory of Commodore Thomas MacDonough, U.S.N. (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Macomb.
 
Regarding Randolph House Hotel. Built in 1856 the Randolph House offered elegance that was almost unheard of in western Illinois. Bellboys carried luggage and there was a carriage shuttle to the train depot. In 1936 the northern part of the building was demolished, only one-half of the original structure remains.
 
Randolph House Hotel image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Deborah H. Lutz, October 18, 2012
2. Randolph House Hotel
The marker is visible to the left of the light post.
South East Corner of the Courthouse Square image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Deborah H. Lutz, October 14, 2012
3. South East Corner of the Courthouse Square
Randolph House image. Click for full size.
April 4, 2012
4. Randolph House
The Randolph House c.1900 image. Click for full size.
5. The Randolph House c.1900
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 28, 2021. It was originally submitted on October 25, 2012, by James King of San Miguel, California. This page has been viewed 574 times since then and 24 times this year. Last updated on January 1, 2013, by James King of San Miguel, California. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on October 25, 2012, by James King of San Miguel, California. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=62286

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 25, 2024