Princeton in Mercer County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The Princeton Battle Monument
This monument, which commemorates the January 3, 1777 Battle of Princeton, depicts Liberty inspiring General Washington as he leads his troops into battle, and the death of General Hugh Mercer. The seals of the United States and the original thirteen states appear on the sides of the Monument, and the inscription on the back was composed by Andrew Fleming West. Commissioned in 1908, the Monument was designed by the Beaux Arts sculptor Frederick MacMonnies with the assistance of architect Thomas Hastings. President Warren G. Harding was present for the 1922 dedication.
In 2006 the Princeton Parks Alliance, in carrying out the vision of Princeton Borough Mayor Joseph O’Neill, undertook a project to permanently illuminate the Monument. As with the original construction of the Monument, local citizens responded with generous donations. The Monument lighting was funded with gifts from Princeton University, Sara and Alexander Buck, Randy and Herb Hobler, Betty Johnson, Douglas F. Bushnell, Marie and Edward Matthews, Barbara and Art Morgan, The Gordon and Llura Gund Foundation, Betsy and Tod Peyton, Joan and Bill Schreyer, Charles C. Townsend
Topics and series. This historical marker monument is listed in this topic list: War, US Revolutionary. In addition, it is included in the Former U.S. Presidents: #01 George Washington, and the Former U.S. Presidents: #29 Warren G. Harding series lists. A significant historical month for this entry is January 1761.
Location. 40° 20.881′ N, 74° 39.955′ W. Marker is in Princeton, New Jersey, in Mercer County. Marker is on Stockton Street (U.S. 206), on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Princeton NJ 08540, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named Princeton Battle Monument (within shouting distance of this marker); Colonel John Haslet (within shouting distance of this marker); Campsite of The Army of Louis XVI, King of France (within shouting distance of this marker); New Jersey Patriots (within shouting distance of this marker); Marines in the Revolution (within shouting distance of this marker); The House Front (within shouting distance of this marker); The Wash House (within shouting The Princeton Bell (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Princeton.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on January 1, 2013, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 603 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on January 1, 2013, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey. 4. submitted on June 21, 2015, by Harold Colson of San Diego, California. 5, 6, 7, 8, 9. submitted on January 1, 2013, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey. 10. submitted on June 17, 2013, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey.