Collinsville in DeKalb County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
Fires and Floods
Location was a major factor in mid-nineteenth century growth of Collinsville. The plush valley, once home of the Cherokee, was situated on a well established trade route from Rome to Gunter’s Landing and from Tuscaloosa to Ross’s Landing. The Town suffered as it was inundated
The Town of Collinsville was incorporated May 5, 1887. James C. Tiner was elected as the first mayor and James Coker, Therlin M. Fearing, T.G. Mackey, B.H. Nicholson and Bonner Heard as alderman.
Erected 2010 by Alabama Tourism Department and the Town of Collinsville.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 34° 15.82′ N, 85° 51.606′ W. Marker is in Collinsville, Alabama, in DeKalb County. Marker is on East Main Street, on the left when traveling east. Located near the former Alabama Great Southern tracks where they cross East Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Collinsville AL 35961, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Collinsville Historic District (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Indian Mound, Inn, and Church Site (approx. 0.2 miles away); Sand Rock Lebanon (approx. 7½ miles away); Lebanon Courthouse (approx. 7½ miles away); Town of Crossville (approx. 7.8 miles away); Leesburg (approx. 8.1 miles away); King's Hill Skirmish (approx. 8.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Collinsville.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on January 5, 2013, by David J Gaines of Pinson, Alabama. This page has been viewed 447 times since then and 25 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on January 5, 2013, by David J Gaines of Pinson, Alabama. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.