Mount Vernon Cultural Walk-Celebrating Culture
The Heart of the City
The opening of the Peabody Institute in 1866 defined Mount Vernon as Baltimore’s cultural center. The Institute originally consisted of a music academy, a library, and art gallery, and a lecture hall—all open to the public. The music academy, the first music school of its kind in the US, has been internationally renowned since the late 19th century. Since 1977, the George Peabody Library and the Peabody Institute have operated as academic divisions of the Johns Hopkins University.
The Walters Art Museum traces its roots to 1874 when William Walters (1819-1894) began opening his house to the public to share his art. By 1902, Walter’s
To exhibit his collection, Henry Walters built the Walters Art Gallery in 1905-09. The Walters Art Gallery expanded in 1974, and in 2000 it was renamed the Walters Art Museum.
Mount Vernon attracted other cultural institutions. The Maryland Historical Society relocated in 1919 from Saratoga and St. Paul streets to the former Enoch Pratt house at the corner of Park Avenue and West Monument Street. In the 1970s CENTERSTAGE, a non-profit professional theater, moved into the former Loyola College and High School building. The Contemporary Museum, Baltimore’s premier contemporary art institution, renovated part of the old Home Mutual Life building at Centre and Park streets into exhibit space in 1999.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Places.
Location. 39° 17.868′ N, 76° 36.918′ W. Marker is in Mount Vernon in Baltimore, Maryland. Marker is at the intersection of North Charles Street and Mt. Vernon Place on North Charles Street. The marker is near the Washington Monument. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Baltimore MD 21201, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Francis Scott Key (here, next to this marker); Mount Vernon Place United Methodist Church
Credits. This page was last revised on April 17, 2020. It was originally submitted on January 7, 2013, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 452 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on January 7, 2013, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. 2. submitted on June 20, 2017, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. 3. submitted on January 7, 2013, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. 4, 5. submitted on June 20, 2017, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. 6. submitted on January 7, 2013, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.