Salem Maritime National Historical Site
— National Park Service, U.S. Department of the Interior —
The Derby House is the oldest brick house still standing in Salem, and one of the finest examples of Georgian colonial architecture in the United States.
Merchant and fleet-owner Richard Derby built the house in 1762 as a wedding present for his son, Elias Hasket Derby. Here, between 1762 and 1782, Elias and his wife, Elizabeth, raised a family of seven children.
After the Revolutionary War, Derby’s trading ships were among the first to reach the Orient. Derby sold this house in 1796, and in succeeding years it became the home of prominent sea captains.
For information on tours of the house, contact a park ranger at the orientation center in the Central Wharf Warehouse.
Erected by National Park Service.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Colonial Era • Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 42° 31.296′ N, 70° 53.208′ W. Marker is in Salem, Massachusetts, in Essex County. Marker is on Derby Street. Touch for map
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Privateer Warehouse (here, next to this marker); The Custom House (within shouting distance of this marker); Derby Wharf (within shouting distance of this marker); Home for Aged Women (within shouting distance of this marker); Wharves in the Late 1800s (within shouting distance of this marker); Central Wharf (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Salem Maritime National Historic Site (about 300 feet away); The Pedrick Store House (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Salem.
Credits. This page was last revised on September 30, 2020. It was originally submitted on January 11, 2013, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 364 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on January 11, 2013, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.