Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Grahamstown, Eastern Cape, South Africa — Southern Africa
 

The Yellow House

 
 
The Yellow House Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Jay van Zyl, January 17, 2013
1. The Yellow House Marker
Inscription.  The erection of this building - the oldest in this town, was commenced in 1813 or 1814. It served as a gaol until 1824. Later it became the Grahamstown Public School, and subsequently the first public library (1842 - 1863). The north wall was taken as the line of the High Street when the town was laid out in 1814.
 
Erected by Historical Monument Commission.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Notable BuildingsSettlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1813.
 
Location. 33° 18.75′ S, 26° 31.383′ E. Marker is in Grahamstown, Eastern Cape. Marker is on High Street, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Grahamstown EC 6139, South Africa. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 4 other markers are within 3 kilometers of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Drostdy Gateway (about 120 meters away, measured in a direct line); Schönland Building (approx. 0.4 kilometers away); The Old Provost (approx. 0.4 kilometers away); The Bible (approx. 2.8 kilometers away).
 
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
The Yellow House and Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Jay van Zyl, January 17, 2013
2. The Yellow House and Marker
The Yellow House Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Jay van Zyl, January 17, 2013
3. The Yellow House Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on January 17, 2013, by Jay van Zyl of Grahamstown, Eastern Cape. This page has been viewed 534 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on January 17, 2013, by Jay van Zyl of Grahamstown, Eastern Cape. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=62649

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 15, 2024