Nappanee in Elkhart County, Indiana — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Nappanee platted 1874 on Baltimore & Ohio Railroad line. Sawmill opened 1873 produced ties for railroad construction. Coppes and Mutschler brothers were partners in lumber, milling, and furniture business, 1902-1913, becoming significant part of local furniture industry. By 1919, Indiana's furniture industry ranked fourth in nation.
As separate companies, Coppes focused on kitchen cabinets and sideboards, the sawmill and flour mill, and Mutschler on manufactured tables and porcelain top kitchen tables. Coppes and Mutschler families continued to manage the companies, adapting to changing times. In 1969, outside corporations acquired both companies, ending local ownership.
Erected 2005 by Indiana Historical Bureau, City of Nappanee, Nappanee Historic Preservation Commission, Nappanee Public Library, Elkhart County Historical Society, Nappanee, E. Newcomer and Son Jewelers. (Marker Number 20.2005.2.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce Railroads & Streetcars. In addition, it is included in the Indiana Historical Bureau Markers series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1874.
Location. 41° 26.551′ N, 85° 59.739′ W. Marker is in Nappanee, Indiana, in Elkhart County. Marker is at the intersection of E. Market Street (U.S. 6) and S. Summit St, on the right when traveling east on E. Market Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 401 E Market Street, Nappanee IN 46550, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Nappanee Cartoonists (approx. 0.3 miles away); Nappanee World Wars Memorial (approx. half a mile away); Stahly - Nissley - Kuhns Farm (approx. 1.3 miles away); Bull Cemetery (approx. 4.7 miles away); Brumbaugh Cemetery (approx. 4.8 miles away); Sandridge Cemetery (approx. 7.9 miles away); In honor of the World War Veterans of this community (approx. 8.1 miles away); Milford World Wars Honor Roll (approx. 8.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Nappanee.
More about this marker. The marker was previously located across E. Market Street from the Coppes Bros. Planing Mill building. It was located at 452 E. Market Street (Coordinates: 41.442732,-85.996496) in front of a closed service station. The marker was moved to its present location in September 2012 as part of the rehabilitation efforts on the Coppes Commons commercial development.
Also see . . .
1. IHB Annotations. The Indiana Historical Bureau provides annotations for the text of the marker on their website. (Submitted on February 6, 2013, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas.)
2. Welcome to Coppes Commons. (Submitted on October 21, 2013, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on January 5, 2021. It was originally submitted on June 14, 2010, by Dave Zollinger of Goshen, Indiana. This page has been viewed 1,252 times since then and 6 times this year. Last updated on January 18, 2013, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on January 18, 2013, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. 5, 6, 7. submitted on June 14, 2010, by Dave Zollinger of Goshen, Indiana. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.