Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
San Juan Bautista in San Benito County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

Native Daughters Adobe

 
 
Native Daughters Adobe Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Barry Swackhamer, January 17, 2013
1. Native Daughters Adobe Marker
Inscription.  Reportedly built in the 1840’s by a Basque named Rafael Pico. First recorded owner Maria Antonia Boronda in 1849. Owned by family members of Jose Maria Castro for many years. Ruins purchased by San Juan Bautista Parlor, N.D.G.W. in 1934.
 
Erected 1976 by Native Daughters of the Golden West, San Juan Bautista Parlor No. 179.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. In addition, it is included in the Native Sons/Daughters of the Golden West series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1849.
 
Location. 36° 50.606′ N, 121° 32.235′ W. Marker is in San Juan Bautista, California, in San Benito County. Marker is on 4th Street east of Polk Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 203 4th Street, San Juan Bautista CA 95045, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Veterans of the World War (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Anza House (about 500 feet away); Progress Becomes History (about 600 feet away); Castro - Breen Adobe
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
(about 700 feet away); San Juan Bautista Plaza Historic District (about 700 feet away); The Amah Mutsun Garden (about 700 feet away); Castro/Breen Adobe and Plaza Hotel (about 700 feet away); Town Jail (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in San Juan Bautista.
 
Also see . . .
1. The California Bell Company. The bells were first erected and paid for by the Camino Real Association in the early 1900s. The Association installed the guidepost bells to mark the road and many of these bells are still standing today. (Submitted on January 19, 2013, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California.) 

2. El Camino Real Mission Bell Marker Project. Caltrans Landscape Architecture Program began in 1996 to fulfill its vision to restore the historic El Camino Real Mission Bell markers from San Francisco to San Diego. This vision was realized in early 2005. (Submitted on January 19, 2013, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California.) 
 
Native Daughters Adobe Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Barry Swackhamer, January 17, 2013
2. Native Daughters Adobe Marker
Native Daughters Adobe image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Barry Swackhamer, January 17, 2013
3. Native Daughters Adobe
Note the El Camino Real bell on the left.
Native Daughters Adobe image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James King, April 4, 2015
4. Native Daughters Adobe
Sign on the Building image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James King, April 4, 2015
5. Sign on the Building
The Adobe
Built 1840 Restored 1935
by San Juan Bautista Parlor No. 179
Native Daughters of the Golden West
El Camino Real Bell image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Barry Swackhamer, January 17, 2013
6. El Camino Real Bell
El Camino Real Bell Plaque image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Barry Swackhamer, January 17, 2013
7. El Camino Real Bell Plaque
El Camino Real Bell
Dedicated February 21, 2010
on the occasion of the
Centennial of San Juan Bautista Parlor No. 179
Native Daughters of the Golden West
Presented by “The Gold Dust Girls” of the Native Daughters of the Golden West
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on January 19, 2013, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. This page has been viewed 654 times since then and 38 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on January 19, 2013, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California.   4, 5. submitted on March 14, 2016, by James King of San Miguel, California.   6, 7. submitted on January 19, 2013, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=62688

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 17, 2024