Hilmar in Merced County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Irwin City had a hotel, bakery, jeweler and barber. Other businesses were Hedman-Johnson Meat Market, Johnston Hardware and Ceylon Grocery. A.H. Boothry and sons ran a general merchandise store. The building known today as Irwin City antiques was previously Pedigo's Store and later Klint's Hardware. Nearby was a two story building with the intriguing name Fallen Angel Saloon. The upper floor was a hotel.
In 1911 a U.S. Post Office opened in Thomas Pedigo's General Store and operated until 1958. Pedigo was postmaster and later became a circuit judge for the area.
In 1917 the Tidewater Southern Railroad line reached the area. The railroad laid out the town of Hilmar just to
Erected 2011 by Estanislao Chapter #58, E Clampus Vitus and Hilmar-Irwin-Stevenson Historical Society.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the E Clampus Vitus series list. A significant historical month for this entry is May 1874.
Location. 37° 24.176′ N, 120° 51.017′ W. Marker is in Hilmar, California, in Merced County. Marker is on Lander Avenue (California Route 165) 0.3 miles south of Falke Street, on the right when traveling south. The monument is next to the sidewalk in the park between the fire station and the school. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Hilmar CA 95324, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 15 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Turlock Assembly Center (approx. 6.8 miles away); Hills Ferry (approx. 7.9 miles away); Founding Day April 28, 1888 (approx. 11.4 miles away); Gustine Museum (approx. 13 miles away); Enterprise SchoolMen of Gustine War Memorial (approx. 13.1 miles away); Ceres Volunteer Fire Department (approx. 14.2 miles away); Ceres War Memorial (approx. 14.3 miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on January 24, 2013, by James King of San Miguel, California. This page has been viewed 625 times since then and 11 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on January 24, 2013, by James King of San Miguel, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.