Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

St. Michaels in Talbot County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Maritime Legend #21663

"The Tow Rope"

 
 
Maritime Legend #21663 Marker image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, November 23, 2012
1. Maritime Legend #21663 Marker
Inscription.  Hand tonged in the Miles River in 1939 by local seafaring legend Frankie Alberto Morgan Wilkenship, this rope dates back to 1813. It was used during the British Invasion of St. Michaels. Maritime forensic experts claim the line "a true nautical braid" belonged to the HMS Jabberwock, commanded by Lord Liverrot. The rope was used to tow U.S. warships damaged by Royal Navy cannonballs.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: War of 1812Waterways & Vessels.
 
Location. 38° 47.112′ N, 76° 13.232′ W. Marker is in St. Michaels, Maryland, in Talbot County. Marker can be reached from Mulberry Street. The marker is along the waterfront at the St. Michaels Crab and Steak House at 305 Mulberry Street, St. Michaels, Maryland. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Saint Michaels MD 21663, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Under Fire (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Freedom's Figurehead (about 700 feet away); Navy Point Historic Houses (about 700 feet away); Rebuilding Rosie Parks
Maritime Legend #21663 Marker image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, November 23, 2012
2. Maritime Legend #21663 Marker
at the Crab & Steak House
(about 700 feet away); What's under your feet? (about 700 feet away); Deflecting the Enemy (about 800 feet away); War in the Chesapeake (about 800 feet away); Oystering on the Chesapeake (about 800 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in St. Michaels.
 
Additional comments.
1. Dawson's Wharf
The site of the Crab & Steak House was Impy Dawson's Wharf in 1813. A two-gun battery located here participated in the first Battle of St. Michaels on August 10, 1813.
    — Submitted January 28, 2013, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland.

 
Additional keywords. Humor
 
Maritime Legend #21663 Marker image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, November 23, 2012
3. Maritime Legend #21663 Marker
"a True Nautical Braid" image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, November 23, 2012
4. "a True Nautical Braid"
Close-up of the tow rope showing its nylon core.
St. Michaels Crab & Steak House image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, November 23, 2012
5. St. Michaels Crab & Steak House
On the site of Dawson's Wharf
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on January 27, 2013, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. This page has been viewed 405 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on January 27, 2013, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland.   2. submitted on January 28, 2013, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland.   3, 4. submitted on January 27, 2013, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland.   5. submitted on January 28, 2013, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement
Aug. 13, 2020