Downtown Houston in Harris County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Houston City, Republic of Texas
That muddy April saw the city hold its first big social event--the anniversary celebration of the San Jacinto victory, with parade, reception and ball.
On Dec. 5, 1837, some war heroes and other leaders founded in the capital the Texas Philosophical Society, the Republic's first learned organization.
In a powdered wig, and dressed to resemble George Washington, President Houston made a 3-hour farewell address, after which Mirabeau Buonaparte Lamar was inaugurated his successor on Dec. 10, 1838.
In 1839, removed
Erected 1965 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 10692.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Places. A significant historical month for this entry is April 1694.
Location. 29° 45.602′ N, 95° 22.219′ W. Marker is in Houston, Texas, in Harris County. It is in Downtown Houston. Marker is at the intersection of Bagby Street and McKinney Street, on the right when traveling south on Bagby Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Houston TX 77002, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Sam Houston Park (within shouting distance of this marker); Site of the National Women's Conference (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Alexander Hodge (about 500 feet away); Ancient Order of Pilgrims (about 500 feet away); Sons of the Republic of Texas (about 500 feet away); Houston Public Library (about 500 feet away); Pillot House (about 600 feet away); Julia Ideson Building (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Houston.
Credits. This page was last revised on February 1, 2023. It was originally submitted on January 27, 2013, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. This page has been viewed 605 times since then and 65 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on January 27, 2013, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.