Houston in Harris County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Became the seat of government of the Republic of Texas, March 22-April 13, 1836, when David G. Burnet, President of the ad interim government and several of his cabinet resided near here in the home of Mrs. Jane Harris (site marked), widow of town founder. Here President Burnet adopted the flag for the Texas Navy. In 1835, local resident, Mrs. Sarah Dodson, had made here the first tri-color Lone Star flag.
General Santa Anna attacked the town with 750 Mexican soldiers on April 16 attempting to capture Burnet and his cabinet. The whole town was burned.
After Texas gained its independence at nearby San Jacinto, the town was rebuilt and again thrived.
The Buffalo Bayou, Brazos and Colorado, first railroad in Texas began here in 1852 and by the Civil War made
Became a part of Houston, by annexation, in 1926.
Erected 1965 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 10680.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical date for this entry is March 22, 1887.
Location. 29° 42.971′ N, 95° 16.657′ W. Marker is in Houston, Texas, in Harris County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Frio Street and Lawndale Street, on the left when traveling north. The marker is only accessible from the parking lot off of Channelside or Frio. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Houston TX 77012, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. A different marker also named Old Harrisburg (here, next to this marker); Holy Cross Mission (approx. 0.3 miles away); Site of the Home of Mrs. Jane Harris (approx. 0.3 miles away); Buffalo Bayou, Brazos & Colorado Railroad (approx. 0.4 miles away); Magnolia Park (approx. 1.6 miles away); Lorenzo de Zavala (approx. 1.6 miles away); Magnolia Park City Hall and Central Fire Station (approx. 1.8 miles away); Hidalgo Park Quiosco (approx. 2.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Houston.
More about this marker. There are two markers at this location with the same name. One erected by the State of Texas, the other by the Harrisburg Rotary Club
Also see . . .
1. History of Harrisburg in The Handbook of Texas. (Submitted on January 29, 2013, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas.)
2. Wikipedia Article on Harrisburg. (Submitted on January 29, 2013, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on January 29, 2013, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. This page has been viewed 685 times since then and 40 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on January 29, 2013, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.