Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Monterey in Monterey County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

El Castillo de Monterey

 
 
El Castillo de Monterey Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Barry Swackhamer, January 29, 2013
1. El Castillo de Monterey Marker
Inscription.  Site of a Spanish fort constructed in 1792 to protect the port and presidio of Monterey from invaders. This is one of only three such forts constructed by the Spanish in California.
 
Erected by Monterey History & Art Association.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Forts and Castles. A significant historical year for this entry is 1792.
 
Location. 36° 36.365′ N, 121° 53.748′ W. Marker is in Monterey, California, in Monterey County. Marker can be reached from Corporal Ewing Road. This marker is located in the Presidio de Monterey to the east of Corporal Ewing Road on a small knoll overlooking Monterey Bay. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Monterey CA 93944, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Argentine Navy (a few steps from this marker); El Castillo Site (within shouting distance of this marker); Here ... landed Very Rev. Father Junipero Serra (within shouting distance of this marker); Presidio of Monterey Museum (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Don Gaspar de Portolá
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
(about 600 feet away); 400th Anniversary of the Naming of Monterey Bay by Gen. Sebastián Vizcaíno (about 700 feet away); Sloat Monument (about 700 feet away); Fort Mervine (about 800 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Monterey.
 
Also see . . .  Posts at Monterey. El Castillo (1792-1846), the fort of the first presidio at Monterey, began as an open V shaped parapet of logs and adobe revetments enclosing a small wooden barracks. Adobe structures were added later. From 1792 to 1822, this fort was the castillio, or fortification, for the Spanish presidio. (Submitted on February 8, 2013, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California.) 
 
El Castillo de Monterey Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Barry Swackhamer, January 29, 2013
2. El Castillo de Monterey Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on February 8, 2013, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. This page has been viewed 648 times since then and 11 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on February 8, 2013, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=63108

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 27, 2024