Memphis in Shelby County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
Second Presbyterian Church
This church was founded on Dec. 28, 1844, on Front St. near Gayoso. It has since become the parent of ten daughter churches. It erected its first owned building in 1849 at Main and Beale. During the Civil War, Federal troops occupied that building. President Lincoln wrote an order for them to "get out and leave it and its owners alone."
(Continued on other side)
(Continued from other side)
In 1893 this church dedicated a new building at Hernando and Pontotoc Streets. Architects were F. Kees and E.C. Jones. In 1849 the church began its worship at this present site. The Philadelphia architectural firm of Harold Wagoner designed the first buildings.
Erected 1990 by Shelby County Historical Commission and Second Presbyterian Church.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. In addition, it is included in the Former U.S. Presidents: #16 Abraham Lincoln series list. A significant historical month for this entry is December 1952.
Location. 35° 7.418′ N, Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 4055 Poplar Ave, Memphis TN 38117, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. William G. Leftwich, Jr. Memorial (approx. 0.6 miles away); This flagpole is dedicated to the men and women of the United States military services (approx. 0.7 miles away); Memphis State Eight (approx. ¾ mile away); Tom (approx. 0.8 miles away); J. Millard "Jack" Smith (approx. 0.8 miles away); The University of Memphis (approx. 0.8 miles away); Normal Depot (approx. 0.9 miles away); Normal Station Neighborhood (approx. one mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Memphis.
Also see . . . Second Presbyterian Church. (Submitted on February 17, 2013.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on February 16, 2013, by Judith Barber of Marietta, Georgia. This page has been viewed 412 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on August 5, 2015, by Steve Masler of Memphis, Tennessee. 2, 3. submitted on February 16, 2013, by Judith Barber of Marietta, Georgia. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.