Memphis in Shelby County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
Built circa 1852, this 25-room Italian villa-style mansion was home to the Isaac Kirtland, Benjamin Babb, James C. Neely, Daniel Grant, and Barton Lee Mallory families between 1852 and 1969. Extensively renovated during the 1880s and 1890s, it contains original furnishings and carefully-preserved decorative treatments which illustrate the Victorians’ love of lavish interior décor. Listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1972, it became a museum in 1973.
Erected by Tennessee Historical Commission. (Marker Number 4E 132.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. In addition, it is included in the Tennessee Historical Commission series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1852.
Location. 35° 8.687′ N, 90° 2.323′ W. Marker is in Memphis, Tennessee, in Shelby County. Marker is on Adams Avenue west of North Orleans Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 650 Adams Ave, Memphis TN 38105, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Woodruff - Fontaine House (within shouting distance of this marker); Christian Brothers College (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Collins Chapel Christian Methodist Episcopal Church (about 500 feet away); Luke Edward Wright (about 600 feet away); St. Mary's Cathedral Chapel and Diocesan House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Lowenstein Mansion (approx. ¼ mile away); Artesian Water (approx. 0.3 miles away); Chickasaw Trail (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Memphis.
Also see . . . Mallory–Neely House. Wikipedia entry (Submitted on December 13, 2021, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York.)
Credits. This page was last revised on December 13, 2021. It was originally submitted on February 16, 2013, by Judith Barber of Marietta, Georgia. This page has been viewed 460 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on February 16, 2013, by Judith Barber of Marietta, Georgia. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.