Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Toccoa in Stephens County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Bandy Cottage Alumni House

 
 
Bandy Cottage Alumni House Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Brian Scott, February 14, 2013
1. Bandy Cottage Alumni House Marker
Inscription.  
In the early 1920's, Jack Mathes moved to Toccoa Falls and accepted the position as business manager of the institution. He met and married Susie Ralls, one of the young women who lived with the Forrests. In 1924, Susie and Jack built a home on the old Hancock Inn site. College officials believe this home is one of the original Sears and Roebuck catalog homes. When the Matheses moved to Florida in 1932 to assist Bill Watson at Trinity Bible Institute, their home was purchased by Mr. and Mrs. William Martin and became known as the Martin house.

In the early 1940's, fire threatened to destroy this structure but quick thinking by Kelly Barnes, who organized and supervised a "bucket brigade" from nearby Toccoa Creek, extinguished the flames saving the structure. When Kelly Barnes saw one of the institute's boys standing by watching the fire, he yelled for the lad to get a bucket and help. When the boy replied he did not have a bucket, Kelly uttered the memorable words, "Well, make a bucket." The Mathes house later became the residence of the second college president, Dr. Julius Brandy and his wife Eunice, who taught music at the
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
college. By the mid 1990's this building was converted into offices for Alumni Relations and Advancement.

This historical marker is placed in honor of the Centennial Celebration, 1907-2007. Donated by the former presidents of the Toccoa Falls Alumni Association.
 
Erected 2007 by Former Presidents of the Toccoa Falls Alumni Association.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. A significant historical year for this entry is 1924.
 
Location. 34° 35.633′ N, 83° 21.65′ W. Marker is in Toccoa, Georgia, in Stephens County. Marker is at the intersection of Bend North Hickory Road and Forrest Drive, on the left when traveling west on Bend North Hickory Road. Marker is located on the campus of Toccoa Falls College. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Toccoa GA 30577, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Gate Cottage (here, next to this marker); Haddock Inn (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Old Toccoa Falls Power Plant (about 300 feet away); Colonel William Wofford (about 400 feet away); In Loving Remembrance (about 600 feet away); Kelly Dam Disaster (about 600 feet away); Staley Cottage (about 600 feet away); Morrison Hall - Old Barn
Bandy Cottage Alumni House Marker<br>Alumni House in Background image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Brian Scott, February 14, 2013
2. Bandy Cottage Alumni House Marker
Alumni House in Background
(about 700 feet away); Bandy Music Hall (about 800 feet away); G.I. Hill & The Steel Buildings (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Toccoa.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on February 16, 2013, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 412 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on February 16, 2013, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=63381

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 15, 2024