Crockett in Houston County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
June 12, 1837
Organized the same year
named in honor of
Commander-in-Chief of the Texan
Army at San Jacinto
President of the Republic and
Governor of the State of Texas
Senator in the United States
Crockett, the county seat
Erected 1936 by State of Texas. (Marker Number 11212.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Political Subdivisions. In addition, it is included in the Texas 1936 Centennial Markers and Monuments series list. A significant historical date for this entry is June 12, 1837.
Location. 31° 19.797′ N, 95° 27.712′ W. Marker is in Crockett, Texas, in Houston County. Marker is on 4th Street (State Highway 19) north of Wood Avenue, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Crockett TX 75835, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Site of Mary Allen Seminary (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Beazley House (approx. half a mile away); Col. Steward Alexander Miller Augustus "Gus" LeGory (approx. half a mile away); James Elbert Downes (approx. 0.6 miles away); William Elbert "Buck" Mayes (approx. 0.6 miles away); Glenwood Cemetery (North Sector) (approx. 0.6 miles away); Samuel Fisher Tenney (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Crockett.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on February 25, 2013, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. This page has been viewed 685 times since then and 52 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on February 25, 2013, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.