Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Oxford in Warren County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Historic Second Presbyterian Church

Oxford, NJ

 
 
Historic Second Presbyterian Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Alan Edelson, April 11, 2012
1. Historic Second Presbyterian Church Marker
Inscription.  The brick church was constructed in 1866 on land deeded to Second Presbyterian Church by the Scranton Family, who were proprietors of Oxford Furnace and among the congregation's founders. Rev,. E. Clarke Cline was the first installed minister on January 31, 1866, following his service as Civil War chaplain for the 11th NJ Regiment. The chapel was built in 1847 and became Oxford Furnace's first place of worship as a missionary church of First Presbyterian Church of Oxford, now known as First Presbyterian Church of Oxford at Hazen. The chapel was also Oxford;s first community center, and for a time the town's schoolhouse. The original stone chapel was destroyed by fire and the existing building was erected on its foundation in 1866. The Manse was built in 1873 to house pastors and their families. Today it serves as offices for the church and community missions. Both the Chapel and Manse rest on land transferred to Second Presbyterian Church by the First Church upon Second Church's founding in 1863. For more history, visit www.Oxford2nd.org
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical month for this entry is January 1200.
 
Location.
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
40° 48.084′ N, 74° 59.802′ W. Marker is in Oxford, New Jersey, in Warren County. Marker is on Washington Ave., on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Oxford NJ 07863, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. St. Rose of Lima R.C. Church (about 800 feet away, measured in a direct line); Foundry (approx. 0.2 miles away); Oxford Furnace #1 (approx. 0.2 miles away); Oxford Furnace (approx. 0.2 miles away); Grist Mill (approx. 0.2 miles away); Oxford House / Wall Street (approx. 0.2 miles away); Shippen Manor (approx. 0.2 miles away); a different marker also named Shippen Manor (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Oxford.
 
Also see . . .  History of Oxford Second Presbyterian Church. (Submitted on February 27, 2013, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.)
 
Historic Second Presbyterian Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Alan Edelson, April 11, 2012
2. Historic Second Presbyterian Church Marker
The Brick Church to the left of the marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Alan Edelson, April 11, 2012
3. The Brick Church to the left of the marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on February 27, 2013, by Alan Edelson of Union Twsp., New Jersey. This page has been viewed 437 times since then and 34 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on February 27, 2013, by Alan Edelson of Union Twsp., New Jersey. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=63553

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 24, 2024