Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Downtown Harrisburg in Dauphin County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Governors’ Row

 
 
Governors' Row Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Beverly Pfingsten, March 15, 2008
1. Governors' Row Marker
Inscription.  This fine collection of historic Front Street townhouses is the single most important row of homes that can be associated with the lives of early Pennsylvania Governors. The original houses on the block; Federal in style and dating to 1812 were designed by Stephen Hills, architect of the old Pennsylvania Capitol, that was completed in 1822. Two of the original homes at 23 and 27 n. Front Street, survive. The other three, at 17, 21 and 25 N. Front Street, either were replaced or enlarged upon Hill's earlier buildings.
27 N. FRONT STREET - Hill's residence while the old Capitol was constructed. It then became the home of Governor John Andrew Schulze (1823 to 1829). The Marquis de Lafayette was a guest here in 1825. the house was later the residence of Jacob Haldeman, an early Harrisburg industrialist and founder of the Borough of New Cumberland;
25 N. FRONT STREET - erected circa 1878 and was the home of Jacob Haldeman's son and U.S. Congressman, Richard Haldeman;
23 N. FRONT STREET - home of Governor Francis Shunk (1845 to 1848);
21 N. FRONT STREET - originally the residence of Governor William
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
Findlay (1817 to 1823). It was enlarged to its present brownstone facade appearance circa 1865 by Reverend Thomas H. Robinson of the Market Square Presbyterian Church under a plan by architect Joseph C. Hoxie who had also designed the church built several years earlier in 1859.
17 N. FRONT STREET - erected in 1863 by Harrisburg attorney John Hanna Briggs. It later served as the Seiler School between 1908 and 1943, a prominent, private academy. At one time a house stood at 19 N. Front Street, which unified the row. It however was demolished in the late 1960's to provide parking for the subsequent occupant of 17 N. Front Street.
Left Portrait
Governor William Findlay (1768 - 1846)
Center Portrait
Governor John Andrew Schulze (1775 - 1852)
Right Portrait
Governor Francis Rawn Shunk (1788 - 1848)

 
Erected by The Harrisburg History Project Commissioned by Mayor Stephen R. Reed.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Architecture. In addition, it is included in the Lafayette’s Farewell Tour, and the Pennsylvania, The Harrisburg History Project series lists. A significant historical year for this entry is 1812.
 
Location. 40° 15.54′ N, 76° 53.038′ W. Marker is in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, in Dauphin County. It is in
Plaque on 21 N. Front Street image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Beverly Pfingsten, March 15, 2008
2. Plaque on 21 N. Front Street
The executive mansion of
William Findlay
Governor of Pennsylvania
1817 - 1820
Placed by
The Dauphin County Committee
The Pennsylvania Society
The Colonial Dames of America
Downtown Harrisburg. Marker is at the intersection of North Front Street and Walnut Street, on the right when traveling south on North Front Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 17 N Front St, Harrisburg PA 17101, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Threatened Invasion of Harrisburg (within shouting distance of this marker); The First River School (within shouting distance of this marker); The People’s Bridge (within shouting distance of this marker); Walnut Street Bridge (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named The People’s Bridge (within shouting distance of this marker); Swenson Plaza Flood Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); James McCormick Mansion (within shouting distance of this marker); Harrisburg Public Library Dauphin County Library System (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Harrisburg.
 
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. Harrisburg markers related to the Governors' Residences
 
Plaque on 23 N. Front Street image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Beverly Pfingsten, March 15, 2008
3. Plaque on 23 N. Front Street
The Executive Mansion of
Francis Rawn Shunk
Governor of Pennsylvania
1845 - 1848
Placed by
The Dauphin County Committee
The Pennsylvania Society
The Colonial Dames of America
Plaque on 27 N. Front Street image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Beverly Pfingsten, March 15, 2008
4. Plaque on 27 N. Front Street
The Executive Mansion of
John Andrew Shulze
Governor of Pennsylvania
1823 - 1829
Placed by
The Dauphin County Committee
The Pennsylvania Society
The Colonial Dames of America
Houses on Governors' Row image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Beverly Pfingsten, March 15, 2008
5. Houses on Governors' Row
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 5, 2019. It was originally submitted on March 18, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 2,850 times since then and 94 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on March 18, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=6374

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jul. 12, 2024