Coalinga in Fresno County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Cheney Bros. Building
1906 – 1983
— Founders: Frank, Tom Walter and Jonathan Guy Cheney —
The Cheney Bros. started with a small building at 138 West Elm St. The business specialized in blacksmithing, a livery stable, and “teaming.” That is, moving and transporting of heavy equipment. In a few months they moved to 231 W. Elm to enlarge their business. Before the year was over, the firm had expanded beyond their dreams. A Cheney Hall was included in the large main building and was rented to the Odd Fellows Lodge and Eagles for their meetings. Coalinga Elks Lodge 1613 also used the building from 1938 to 1965. At this time the Cheney’s owned over 500 head of stock and employed a large payroll.
One of the most trying experiences of the firm was a trip to San Luis Obispo hauling three boilers with three wagons, over 60 head of horses and mules, and a number of drivers. Losing wheels and loads on three different occasions.
Erected by Coalinga Lions Club.
Topics. Fraternal or Sororal Organizations • Industry & Commerce.
Location. 36° 8.307′ N, 120° 21.676′ W. Marker is in Coalinga, California, in Fresno County. Marker is at the intersection of West Elm Street and North 6th Street, on the left when traveling west on West Elm Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 231 West Elm Street, Coalinga CA 93210, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Richfield Service Station (a few steps from this marker); Premier Creamery (within shouting distance of this marker); Coaling Station A (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); a different marker also named Coaling Station A (about 300 feet away); Amy Building (about 500 feet away); Crescent Meat Co. (about 500 feet away); 5th Street, Coalinga 1912 (about 500 feet away); Sullivan Hotel (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Coalinga.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on March 24, 2013, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. This page has been viewed 375 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on March 24, 2013, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.