Gettysburg in Adams County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The Sheads-Buehler Building
In the aftermath of the Battle of Gettysburg, thousands of wounded soldiers from the North and the South received temporary shelter in both buildings as they awaited rail transport via the Hanover and Gettysburg Railroad depot to larger hospital complexes located in the North. These larger hospitals were better equipped to treat the severe nature of their wounds.
As the last of the wounded departed Gettysburg in the fall of 1863, the buildings returned to their previous purposes as warehouses. At the time of the photos, which were taken in the 1880s, the Sheads-Buehler building was also the site of the local Masonic
Left: Photograph taken by William Tipton, ca. 1880s (Courtesy of William A. Frassanito, The Gettysburg Bicentennial Album)
Right: Photograph taken by Henry Stewart, ca. 1888 (Courtesy of William A. Frassanito, The Gettysburg Bicentennial Album)
Erected 2013 by the York Transit Authority.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil. A significant historical month for this entry is July 1863.
Location. 39° 49.932′ N, 77° 13.858′ W. Marker is in Gettysburg, Pennsylvania, in Adams County. Marker is on Carlisle Street (Business U.S. 15), on the right when traveling north. Marker is next to the sidewalk just to the south side of the Gettysburg Transit Center, a modern brick building on the east side of Carlisle St. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 113 Carlisle St, Gettysburg PA 17325, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Gettysburg R.R. Depot (a few steps from this marker); Western Maryland Station (a few steps from this marker); The Majestic Theater (within shouting distance of this marker); "It seemed so awful..." (within shouting "by the skin of our teeth" (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Lincoln Square Building (about 400 feet away); " It was enough to frighten us to death!" (about 400 feet away); Old Courthouse (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Gettysburg.
1. Research for marker inscription.
This historical marker was researched and written by Eric Lindblade.
— Submitted June 4, 2013, by Karl Stelly of Gettysburg, Pennsylvania.
Credits. This page was last revised on April 17, 2022. It was originally submitted on March 26, 2013, by Karl Stelly of Gettysburg, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 706 times since then and 94 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on March 26, 2013, by Karl Stelly of Gettysburg, Pennsylvania. 2. submitted on April 7, 2022, by Adam Margolis of Mission Viejo, California. 3. submitted on March 26, 2013, by Karl Stelly of Gettysburg, Pennsylvania. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.