St. Marys in Camden County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
George Washington Oak Tree Site
President George Washington
on December 14, 1799, local
citizens and members of
Camden Lodge #16 planted
six oak trees in a
memorial service honoring
this famous Statesman,
Soldier and Free Mason. This
monument marks the spot of
the last of these oak trees
which was removed in 1987.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Fraternal or Sororal Organizations • Government & Politics • War, US Revolutionary. In addition, it is included in the Former U.S. Presidents: #01 George Washington series list.
Location. 30° 43.476′ N, 81° 32.857′ W. Marker is in St. Marys, Georgia, in Camden County. Marker is on Osborne Street (Georgia Route 40) near Conyers Street, in the median. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Saint Marys GA 31558, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Washington Pump & Oak (a few steps from this marker); Clark-Bessant House (within shouting distance of this marker); First Presbyterian Church (within Orange Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); St. Marys Methodist Church Established 1799-1800 (within shouting distance of this marker); City of St. Marys (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Spanish Occupation of Georgia (about 500 feet away); First Pecan Trees Grown Here About 1840 (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in St. Marys.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 23, 2019. It was originally submitted on March 26, 2013, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 624 times since then and 29 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on March 26, 2013, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.