Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Ross in Marin County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

Historic Dedication of the Lagunitas Road Bridge

Corte Madera Creek

— Ross, California - March 20, 2011 —

 
 
Historic Dedication of the Lagunitas Road Bridge Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Andrew Ruppenstein, March 24, 2013
1. Historic Dedication of the Lagunitas Road Bridge Marker
Inscription.  This structure replaces Bridge No. 27C0071, a contributing element to the Ross Historic Bridges District, eligible for inclusion in the National Register of Historic Places. The original bridge was completed on January 13, 1910 as part of a $12,500 bond issue approved by Ross voters 75-7 for the construction of five "concrete bridges to replace the present wooden bridges" throughout the Town. John Buck Leonard, a pioneer and leading designer of reinforced concrete bridges, was the engineer. The four "electroliers," which were installed on the original bridge in 1911, were funded by a donation from Ross resident Harriette deWitte Kittle. They were removed prior to demolition, recast and replaced on the current bridge.
 
Erected 2011.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Bridges & Viaducts. A significant historical month for this entry is January 1913.
 
Location. 37° 57.736′ N, 122° 33.403′ W. Marker is in Ross, California, in Marin County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Lagunitas Road and Sylvan Lane, on the right. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Ross CA 94957, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Ross War Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); The Original James Ross House (approx. ¼ mile away); Montgomery Chapel (approx. 0.6 miles away); Rev. Dr. Thoedore A, Gill (approx. 0.7 miles away); High Water Mark (approx. 0.8 miles away); a different marker also named High Water Mark (approx. 0.8 miles away); a different marker also named High Water Mark (approx. 0.9 miles away); Paul Chirone (approx. 0.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Ross.
 
Also see . . .  R.I.P. Lagunitas Road Bridge ca. 1908 – 2010. The Friends of Corte Madera Creek's 2010 article presents a history of the old bridge and a preview of the new one. (Submitted on March 29, 2013.) 
 
Lagunitas Road Bridge and Marker - Wide View image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Andrew Ruppenstein, March 24, 2013
2. Lagunitas Road Bridge and Marker - Wide View
The marker is visible here mounted to the concrete panel on the left of the foremost electrolier.
Electrolier image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Andrew Ruppenstein, March 24, 2013
3. Electrolier
The old bridge's most significant decorative elements, the electroliers and concrete railings, were retained in the new bridge to provide visual and historical continuity. (Electrolier is derived from electric chandelier.)
Closeup of the Historical Photo on Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Andrew Ruppenstein, March 24, 2013
4. Closeup of the Historical Photo on Marker
This photo, from the collection of Ken Fineman, shows the original Lagunitas Road Bridge (Bridge No. 27C0071 in National Bridge Inventory jargon) .
Corte Madera Creek - Looking South from Bridge image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Andrew Ruppenstein, March 24, 2013
5. Corte Madera Creek - Looking South from Bridge
Lagunitas Road Bridge - Looking North from Southeast Bank image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Andrew Ruppenstein, March 24, 2013
6. Lagunitas Road Bridge - Looking North from Southeast Bank
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on October 8, 2020. It was originally submitted on March 27, 2013, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Lamorinda, California. This page has been viewed 615 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on March 27, 2013, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Lamorinda, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=63939

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 23, 2024