Coalinga in Fresno County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
B.M. Food Market
1919-1983 Baptiste Motte
The start of a family at his homestead, miles from a town and a school, decision had to be made. So Baptiste Motte turned in his horse and saddle and purchased a model T traveling grocery store on wheels. This was the beginning – from house to house in town and from oil lease to oil lease to serve the people with groceries
Baptiste’s first downtown store was in the Bertrich Block – later known as the Kettleman Apartments. He bought a building at the corner of Fifth and Cedar in 1929, built by Mr. B. Pasch in 1908. The building became the “B.M. Food Market” and remained there until the earthquake of 1983.
Dedicated to John and Lois Motte
Erected by Coalinga Lions Club.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Notable Buildings. A significant historical year for this entry is 1897.
Location. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 405 Coalinga Plaza, Coalinga CA 93210, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Phelps Building (a few steps from this marker); The Bertrich Block (within shouting distance of this marker); Liberty “Airdome Theater” (within shouting distance of this marker); “Dr. Bill” (within shouting distance of this marker); Coalinga Woman’s Club (within shouting distance of this marker); Pleasant Valley Hotel (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Row of Store Buildings Destroyed By Earthquake in 1983 (about 400 feet away); First Presbyterian Church of Coalinga (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Coalinga.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on March 29, 2013, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. This page has been viewed 500 times since then and 70 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on March 29, 2013, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.