Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Toccoa in Stephens County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Dining Hall & Chapel

 
 
Dining Hall & Chapel Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Brian Scott, February 17, 2013
1. Dining Hall & Chapel Marker
Inscription.  
One morning after breakfast at Staley Cottage, Richard Forrest came down to what is now the center of campus. In 1914, with a brier hook and an ax, he cleared a spot for a permanent dining room and kitchen. Then everyone assembled in the opening for prayer. With the Forrest in the lead, faculty, staff, and students held hands and marched around the clearing, claiming it in the name of the Lord for a dining room. The money came one week at a time until the dining room and kitchen were built. The students did most of the labor, aided by a friend from Atlanta, who was a builder. After this building was completed work began on the second structure, which would house the chapel. It was completed in 1918. However, the upper story of classrooms and offices remained unfinished due to the lack of funds until 1920. Finally, Mrs. Forrest decided something had to be done, and she knew God had the answer. She led the students and faculty in a prayer service that concluded with a walk of faith over the unfinished flooring. A few weeks later, the Forrests received a check from Mrs. Lyman Stewart with a note attached: "For the new chapel."

"What
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
exciting times there were," wrote Evelyn Forrest, "times of great faith."

This historical marker is placed in honor of the Centennial Celebration 1907-2007. Donated by the Toccoa Falls Academy Class of 1971.
 
Erected 2007 by Toccoa Falls Academy Class of 1971.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. A significant historical year for this entry is 1914.
 
Location. 34° 35.583′ N, 83° 21.467′ W. Marker is in Toccoa, Georgia, in Stephens County. Marker is on Bandy Drive, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Toccoa GA 30577, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Stewart Hall (here, next to this marker); Woerner World Missions Center (within shouting distance of this marker); The Tents (within shouting distance of this marker); Administration Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Forrest Hall - Ball Field (within shouting distance of this marker); Paul & Mary Williams Memorial Chapel (within shouting distance of this marker); The Bell (within shouting distance of this marker); LeTourneau Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); Bandy Music Hall (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Ring Music Hall (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Toccoa.
 
Dining Hall & Chapel Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Brian Scott, February 17, 2013
2. Dining Hall & Chapel Marker
Dining Hall & Chapel Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Brian Scott, February 17, 2013
3. Dining Hall & Chapel Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on April 9, 2013, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 371 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on April 9, 2013, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=64273

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jul. 19, 2024